Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My, am me.

I just got back from a trip using money I don't even have (thank you credit card).

During the weeks leading up to the trip I was stressing over the fact I have no money to go on the trip. I mean seriously, I have no money. I had work cut down my hours so I could study for my exit exam (which I passed! :D) which leaves me with pretty much nothing to spend after you factor in regular charges like cell phone bills and that gym membership I never use (among other things)....

Anyhoo, I was stress, stressing because that's what I do. Even at the airport I was stress, stressing. You would think I'd stop stressing by the time I got to the airport because it's the point of no return, but no I kept on going. Prior to the trip, everyone had told me the trip would be fun and I didn't need to worry. "Just have fun!" "Don't worry about it!" blahblahblah. (Easy for you to say people, you have money...) I couldn't shut my mind down. Before going on the trip I had psychically predicted the potential price tags I would encounter:

Checking in the bags: -$15 (if the first one wasn't free, which it wasn't)
Magazine: -$4.00
Drink: -$2.50
Cookies: -$2.00
Coffee: -$4

Luckily I had ate before going to the airport so I wasn't hungry. I didn't need to check in my bag because I have mastered the art of packing long ago. No need for the magazine, I brought a book. No to the coffee because $4 for coffee is ridiculous.... it's hot water filtered through a roasted, ground up bean- why does it need to cost that much?! I wasn't going to get the drink and cookies but became convinced by a friend that in the 4 hours it would take us to land I'd probably get hungry (she was probably right).

"Your total is $5.01.", the cashier said.

I stressfully handed her $5 thinking I could live without the drink and cookies, this $5 could go toward something else (like my bills!)... was it too late to ditch the food and run, fleeing with my arms flailing for dramatic effect? She took my money and waved her other hand to pardon me from the $0.01 I owed her. Good, I thought, I saved a penny. I walked away and finally glanced at my receipt:

Total              $4.50
CASH           $5.00
Change          $0.50

WTF? As if I'm not broke enough already, that ***** had to steal $0.50? Every penny was counting for me at that moment (every penny does when you stress about money) and I wanted to go back (mainly for the principle) but I figured maybe she needs it more than me.

I tend to stress eat so I opened up my cookies to get sweet, unhealthy satisfaction and bitterly popped open my apple juice. I hated them for costing money. When I put the lid of my drink down on my lap my lid screamed at me what everyone had been saying:


relax

Was I so unnecessarily stressed that my apple juice needed to start giving me advice too? It was like a slap in the face to just relax and enjoy the ride... And so with that I relaxed....































Until the day we got back from the trip. 
Holy goodness my cc bill is ridiculous (and that doesn't even include the airfare and hotel).

Back to stressing... and no beverage can tell me otherwise.

No comments: